Monday, April 23, 2012

Dynamic Sitting (and everything else...)

"dy-nam-ics n. a branch of mechanics that deals with forces and their relation primarily to the motion but sometimes also to the equilibrium of bodies."

That's from an old Webster's dictionary and I found it illuminating, particularly the juxtaposition of "motion" and "equilibrium."

A couple of weeks ago I was seeing a client for the first time. I was sitting on a stool and we'd been talking for a few minutes when she said, "I notice you frequently move while you sit."

I'd known that was true, particularly when I sit on something without back support, but I hadn't realized I did it often enough to warrant notice. After that, I started paying closer attention and I realize when I'm sitting I move, not quite constantly, but a lot. Further reflection led me to understand that what I'm looking for in my moving exploration (because that's what I'm doing, exploring) is a finer sense of both comfort and equilibrium. Don't get me wrong, I'm not usually uncomfortable sitting (although there was a time when I was), I'm looking to improve what's already working and, through those little adjustments, head off discomfort before it begins. I can now sit comfortably, with or without back support, usually for hours at a time, if need be and the whole process of fine tuning my sitting position has become mostly unconscious.

But it didn't start out that way. It started from doing Awareness Through Movement® lessons that helped me to become more self-aware and gave me a context within which I could more effectively build skill, both consciously and unconsciously. I find great benefit from doing this type of ATM and so will you. Regardless of age or experience, exploring your movement dynamics will pay you great dividends. If you haven't yet done it, give the Feldenkrais Method a try and see how much better you feel, not only while sitting but during all of your activities. If you're in New York City, you can visit me and my colleagues at The Feldenkrais Institute. You'll find lots more information if you click here

No comments:

Post a Comment